Monday 7 March 2016

Whatever: The Classic Response to the Best Advice

"How are you?"
"I'm hungry."
"Hi, Hungry! I'm Tim."

Queue the inevitable groan at one of the most infamous, yet most lovable, "Dad Joke" of all time. While studying abroad, I do not hear those jokes as often, but it always makes me happy when I receive one of those texts from my father. Since it is hard to call my parents sometimes, it is nice to receive those little messages from them. In honor of this past Sunday being the United Kingdom's Mother's Day (sorry Dad0, here is some typical parental advice that will definitely come in handy while studying abroad:

  1. Where are your gloves?  I cannot even begin to count how many times that I chose not to wear gloves when headed somewhere back in the United States. Now, I always make sure to pack my gloves in order to avoid the inevitable dry skin that occurs from exploring a cold city.
  2. Look both ways before crossing the street!  While this one may seem like common sense, you might not see a car coming if you are near a street corner or rushing to catch your plane.  Always take your time because it is definitely better to be cautious than to risk being run over by an angry cyclist.
  3. Oh no – did you forget the keys?  Double-checking all of your belongings, such as your room key, phone, passport, immigration letter, wallet, etc., is especially important since there is that constant threat of being pickpocketed.  Even if you will be slightly behind schedule, always make sure that you have everything important before heading to your next destination.
  4. Mind over matter.  From being constantly tired from school and traveling to finding the willpower to not eat pizza every night, you have to remain diligent in order to remain sane.  With being constantly busy 24/7, it is so easy to procrastinate, especially living in a beautiful manor. Try to be as productive whenever you can, so then you can relax and not get burned out.
  5. Remember: I am always a phone call away.  For me, this is probably the phrase that I think about most since leaving home.  No matter where I am or what I am doing, I know that my parents are always there for me. It is such a comfort knowing that there will always be a touch of home, and I love talking to my parents whenever I can.

Special shout out to all of our parents back in the United States, and Happy (belated?) Mother’s Day!

 
 
Written by: Jessica Vaughan


No comments:

Post a Comment