Monday 29 February 2016

Stressed is Just Desserts Spelled Backwards

When you imagine someone writing a blog post, what do you picture? Can you see them sitting calmly at their kitchen table, gazing across their laptop into their flowery backyard, blowing on their hot cup of tea, placidly searching their minds for subject ideas? Sounds relaxing and peaceful, right? Oh, if you could see me now! I'm currently sitting on my backup train (yep, I missed my original train and it's possible that I won't make it in time now for my excursion in Wales) writing this last minute blog all the while trying to keep my bladder from exploding because I am too shy to ask the stranger in the seat next to me to move so I can go pee. So peaceful.

Why, you might ask, am I writing this post in such a position? I will tell you why! Stress. It's because I am stressed! My blog post is due today, and though I meant to write it last night before bed, I completely forgot because I am simultaneously suffering from the aftershocks of this past week's chaos and the precursors of this coming week's craziness.

Before coming here, every time I heard about Harlaxton it came with words of praise and celebration (which it rightfully deserves), but no one ever talked about how hard the semester is! People are always willing to share their travel horror stories, but everyone I talked to made the classes and work load sound so easy. Ha. Haha. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

No.

A lot of people's schedules will vary slightly, but this is my general, stress-inducing schedule:
Wake up super early for British Studies or Genetics class (maybe even early enough for breakfast), then go to one or two classes, have a small break (that's too short to actually accomplish anything), then lunch, and another hour-long-too-short-to-get-anything-done break. After that you have another class and (oh yeah!) a 2 hour lab, then it's time for dinner and now dinners done, but you can't take that peaceful hike around the manor because it's nighttime, and then (surprise!) you wanted to get started on your homework. But there's a Gold Room lecture and then a basketball game and come support your house at the House Competition and don't forget to do your weekend checkout! Next you get a text from your sister telling you that the guy back home that you were practically in love with has gotten engaged (still crying) and then your credit card FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON will not go through to buy your train tickets and even though it's 1:30 AM and you want to go to sleep, you still need to shower and WHAT? The British Studies quiz is TOMORROW?!!?!?

Stress. I know everyone knows about it, and I know everyone is feeling it. Stress and sadness and anxiety will always be there. They may go away, but they always come back. But what I hope you remember is that it's the same way for happiness and hope and peace! They may go away for periods of time, but they always come back! You will have bad times, but good times will always be on the way! Don't get bogged down by the troubles of your past and unknowns of your future, but instead choose to live in the moment and enjoy life to the fullest!

I now leave you with two inspiring quotes from two very British fandoms!

"It was important, Dumbledore said, to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then could evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated..." Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." The Eleventh Doctor, Doctor Who

I hope that despite any stresses you may encounter, each one of you finds happiness, has a fantastic week, and remembers that stress is just desserts spelled backwards!


Written by: Remington Grenier

No comments:

Post a Comment